Make Your Wish List
Create a list of your needs and use it as a guide to selecting the right home. To start, some items to consider are:
- Current and future needs of your family
- Square footage and number of bedrooms and bathrooms
- Storage and cabinet space
- Entertainment space (patio, great room, kitchen)
- Neighborhood amenities
- Proximity to quality schools, transportation, work, shopping and recreation
Explore the Neighborhood
By spending time in the areas where you would most like to live, you will get a strong sense of their character. Walk through the neighborhood, visit the local stores, observe the traffic and explore the local parks and recreation facilities. It’s also a good idea to visit on different days and at different times of day.
Choose Your Builder
It's a good idea to research builders to find the best match for you. Some things to consider include:
- Reputation and Experience: How long has it been in business?
- Employees: Meet the sales counselor and the building supervisor. You'll be working closely with these people while your home is being built, so it's important that you have a good relationship.
- Warranty: What type of warranty does the builder offer? What does it cover and for how long?
- Established Communities: Tour existing neighborhoods that your builder has developed. This will give you an idea of what your community will look like in the future.
- Current Home Owners: Talk to current home owners to get their perspective on the builder's quality and customer service.